Are we getting tired of the white kitchen? There is a long list of reasons why someone might choose a white kitchen but all that can also be said about a black kitchen too. With one major addition to the list; courage.
Why are black kitchens best?
- They are timeless and will stay current. A kitchen is a huge investment and not a renovation you want to tackle any more often than needed.
- The black kitchen is essentially a blank slate. Just like the little black dress it can be dressed up with fabrics, hardware and fixtures.
- It is versatile and will fit with any alterations to colour schemes in the rest of the decor.
- The black kitchen is elegant and unexpectedly sophisticated.
- The black kitchen is a gutsy choice. Come on, you know your dinner parties would be so much more interesting in a black kitchen.
There are lots of factors to consider when contemplating a black kitchen;
- The type of material used for the cabinets. Laminate will be darker and more saturated than painted wood.
- The type of finish. Matte, satin, semi-gloss or high gloss all reflect or absorb light differently.
- A gloss finish will reflect light and be brighter overall but is higher maintenance.
- A matte finish will make a darker room but is more contemporary.
- Lighting considerations are crucial. Different levels of lighting from ambiance to task lighting have to be considered and you’ll need more than you think.
- There are many, many different shades of black from red black to a blue black.
I’m not sure I’m ready to take the plunge but I sure do love to look at these beauties and day dream.