Everyone on our Nova Scotia beach is ultimately trustworthy but if you happen to frequent a more congested beach you might find yourself treading water while keeping a close eye on the valuables you left on the beach. The New York Times published an article with some tried and true methods of hiding valuables and foiling a beach burglary here.
I’m a huge fan of street art and graffiti, this graffiti alley in Toronto isn’t too far from where I used to have my studio downtown. Street artist Paul “Moose” Curtis has etched endangered animal species on the grime of London’s sidewalks here.
This game is the coolest 404 page I’ve ever seen.
I want to work in one of these offices! What a great environment, not sure how much work got done, though.
I wish I had this app before Michael and I went to Paris last June.
Telling the time just became much more interesting than pulling out your phone. See it here.
Are we getting tired of the white kitchen? There is a long list of reasons why someone might choose a white kitchen but all that can also be said about a black kitchen too. With one major addition to the list; courage.
Why are black kitchens best?
- They are timeless and will stay current. A kitchen is a huge investment and not a renovation you want to tackle any more often than needed.
- The black kitchen is essentially a blank slate. Just like the little black dress it can be dressed up with fabrics, hardware and fixtures.
- It is versatile and will fit with any alterations to colour schemes in the rest of the decor.
- The black kitchen is elegant and unexpectedly sophisticated.
- The black kitchen is a gutsy choice. Come on, you know your dinner parties would be so much more interesting in a black kitchen.
There are lots of factors to consider when contemplating a black kitchen;
- The type of material used for the cabinets. Laminate will be darker and more saturated than painted wood.
- The type of finish. Matte, satin, semi-gloss or high gloss all reflect or absorb light differently.
- A gloss finish will reflect light and be brighter overall but is higher maintenance.
- A matte finish will make a darker room but is more contemporary.
- Lighting considerations are crucial. Different levels of lighting from ambiance to task lighting have to be considered and you’ll need more than you think.
- There are many, many different shades of black from red black to a blue black.
I’m not sure I’m ready to take the plunge but I sure do love to look at these beauties and day dream.